A possible drowning victim was recovered from Lake Allatoona Friday evening.
Bartow County first responders and the Department of Natural Resources responded to the boat ramp at Bethany Bridge about 5 p.m. after a caller reported seeing an object in the water about 150 yards from the bridge on the dam side.
“We were dispatched out to a suspicious item in the water ...,” Bartow County Fire Department Battalion Chief Marcus Warren said. “The first crew arrived and a person here, a fisherman, took them out. They actually saw the body, confirmed it was a body and eased it back to shore.”
It was not clear where the man went into the water or how long he’d been there, although Warren said it was “two to three days possibly.”
“If you go in the water somewhere, you ain’t going to end up in that spot with the waves and the boat traffic and everything like that,” he said. “It could have been at any location.”
An autopsy to determine cause of death will be conducted.
No other details on the victim were released Friday.
- Helping Hands: Community resources help mend a fractured Bartow family
- Red Top's Hills of Iron returns Saturday
- Business class hotel coming to conference center
- Teens Pay Tribute: Instead of protests, there was a time of quiet reflection and remembrance.
- Bartow brings in $147M in 2017 capital investments