Attempted fraud leads to car chase
by Staff Report
Jan 12, 2013 | 1647 views | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print
On Thursday, Jan. 10, at 10:49 a.m., a Cartersville Police Department officer was dispatched to North Georgia Financing, 1450 Joe Frank Harris Parkway in reference to a forgery report.

The officer met with the complainant, who said Amber Nicole Cline and an accomplice purchased a vehicle on Dec. 27, 2012, with what he thought was a check that was returned for insufficient funds. According to the report, Cline told the complainant the check belonged to her grandmother and she asked him to wait a few days to deposit the check so she could transfer funds into her grandmother’s account and cover the check. The complainant agreed.

On Jan. 9, 2013, the complainant’s bank allegedly informed him the check that was made out for $7,000 did not have the funds to cover that amount. The complainant told the deputy he then contacted Cline about the incident. She said she could not believe the check did not clear and told the complainant she would bring him the $7,000.

According to the complainant, Cline never came.

The complainant contacted Cline and her accomplice and told them he wanted his car back as soon as possible. The vehicle was entered onto GCIC.

According to the complainant, by coincidence, a witness, Cline’s grandmother’s boyfriend, came to his business about the check. The witness told the complainant he received a notification from his bank that a $7,000 check had tried to clear, but there were insufficient funds. The complainant showed the witness a picture of Cline and her accomplice to see if he knew them. The witness said, according to the report, the two rented a room at his residence and that the suspect’s name was on the check.

The officer relocated to Hannon Way, where he spoke to the witness and Cline’s grandmother. The witness confirmed the suspect and her accomplice had been renting a room from them. The witness told the officer that his girlfriend, Cline’s grandmother, had signed a blank check for him so he could pick up her medication.

Cline’s grandmother said she was in bad health and her boyfriend takes care of her and her bills. She went on to say she had left the check on the end table in the living room. The witness said he thought he had misplaced the check when he could not find it, until the bank had got in touch with him. The witness also said Cline and her accomplice left his residence a couple of days ago and had not returned.

The officer attempted to make contact with the suspect but was unable to do so. However, he was able to contact the accomplice, who said he had the vehicle. The accomplice said he did not know where Cline was and he did not wish to speak to the officer.

At 4:03 p.m. the same day, another CPD officer spotted a black Ford Explorer SportTrac at 1381 Joe Frank Harris Parkway.

When the officer activated his emergency equipment, the driver allegedly went through a red light and began traveling north on Joe Frank Harris Parkway at a high speed. The officer caught up to the vehicle, which stopped at Little Valley Road and Joe Frank Harris Parkway.

As the officer approached the vehicle, Cline and her accomplice were exiting the vehicle. According to the incident report, the two were ordered by the officer to “turn around and get on the ground,” and they complied.

Cline was charged with reckless driving and failure to obey a traffic control device. She was transported to the Bartow County Jail. Her accomplice was released after a brief detention. The vehicle was turned over to the car lot.

Kangaroo Express, males steal snacks

According to a Bartow County Sheriff’s incident report, at 10:05 p.m. on Thursday, a deputy was dispatched to Kangaroo Express off Ga. Highway 20 in reference to shoplifting.

Upon arrival, the deputy met with an employee who said two or three unknown male suspects entered the store and allegedly stole Slim Jims and chips. The employee was unsure exactly what time the incident took place and what items were taken.

The employee told the deputy that his manager had called him after she left work for the night and told him to file a report. The manager had observed the incident and followed the males out the front door. The suspects took approximately $10 worth of items.

The employee was unable to provide video footage at the time.