Brought before the council at Tuesday's work session, the Adairsville Police Department has been offered a 3-year-old German Shepherd. The only cost will be that incurred in the operation of a new K-9 unit described by Police Chief Robert Jones as a "force multiplier."
The dog being offered is valued at $8,000 and certified in drugs, search and rescue and tracking. An officer would be trained to handle the dog and take on the responsibilities associated with that role.
"I think there are some things we can work through so it can still be at a very low cost," said Jones, referring to cost-sharing opportunities with other agencies. "It's going to be very good for the city ultimately, maybe we can start working some on Interstate 75 and that area and doing some criminal interdiction on 75.
"Once you start seizing items with this and it becomes a part of the police department's drug funds, then you can use it to buy other assets -- maybe other dogs, equipment the officers may need, things of that nature -- to keep the program going and eventually it can pay for itself if it's managed correctly."
The Adairsville Police Department also announced Tuesday its inclusion in the Nixle public service announcement system allowing residents to sign up for text, phone or email alerts on items including suspicious activity, missing persons, traffic and natural disasters. Visit www.nixle.com for more information and to sign up for alerts.
City council members will vote Thursday on a budget amendment to update several items among revenue and cost changes. Included in the amendment is a drop in Local Option Sales Tax revenue, approved expenditures and an increase in insurance premium reimbursements seen after the release of 2010 Census data. A copy of the amended budget is available for viewing at city hall.
Several other items will come up for vote at Thursday's regular meeting:
* Second reading of zoning application for approximately one acre at Highway 140 and Adares Parkway. The council discussed Tuesday the decision to deny the re-zoning request due to the applicant not appearing at the scheduled public hearing.
* Declare a used police cruiser as surplus and vote on appropriate disposal.
* Motion to approve application for malt beverage and wine retail package license for Knight Exxon at 102 Princeton Blvd.
* Add job description for water treatment operator.
* Approval of 2012 work session and council meeting schedule.
* Motion to approve resolution declaring incumbent mayor and city councilmen retain office without election due to no opposition qualifying for office.
The Adairsville City Council will meet Thursday at 7 pm. at city hall.