BCSO deputy arrested in domestic dispute
by Staff Report
Jul 19, 2011 | 4507 views | 0 0 comments | 15 15 recommendations | email to a friend | print
An off-duty Bartow County Sheriff's Office lieutenant was arrested early Monday morning following a domestic dispute.

According to the Bartow County Sheriff's Office incident report, deputies arrived about 12:30 a.m. to find Jeffery Todd Rogers, 41, sitting on the couch with an M-16 rifle across his lap, a black handgun on the cushion next to him and a laptop. The responding lieutenant removed the M-16.

Rogers told the officers he and his wife had been arguing and it reached a breaking point. Rogers, who admitted to drinking all day, said he and his wife had gone to Buffalo's earlier and that he had told her "they were going to have to make a decision as a couple."

He said the argument was only verbal and no physical contact was made. When Rogers said he had loaded the M-16, a deputy asked what he was thinking. Rogers replied, "No comment."

Rogers' wife told deputies that she and Rogers were getting along well and all appeared fine, but he "snapped" about 9:30 p.m., becoming argumentative and verbal. She said she advised children at the home to leave Rogers alone.

The woman said she then heard Rogers loading ammunition into a gun and saw him doing something with a handgun. She said he then pointed the weapon at her and said, "I'm done," and according to the woman, Rogers said he was going to kill her.

According to his wife, Rogers left the residence but came back after she took the children downstairs. She then removed the children from the home and told the children to go to a neighbor's house.

Rogers was arrested and charged with aggravated assault under the Family Violence Act, terroristic threats and acts, two counts of pointing a gun at another person and three counts of second-degree cruelty to children. He is currently in jail awaiting a bond hearing on those charges.

Sheriff Clark Millsap said Rogers has been placed on administrative leave until the conclusion of the investigation.

Sgt. Jonathan Rogers said no information was available under the department's new computer system on any prior incidents involving Rogers.