BHM revisits Rowland Springs Resort with Evening Lecture June 27
by Marie Nesmith
Jun 14, 2013 | 727 views | 0 0 comments | 43 43 recommendations | email to a friend | print
ngs Resort will reclaim the limelight as the subject of the Bartow History Museum’s Evening Lecture June 27. Starting at 7 p.m., the program will feature a presentation on the resort’s history by Richard Wright, who has conducted extensive research on the venue and Bartow County.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to see a little piece of Bartow County history that’s no longer there,” BHM Director Trey Gaines said, referring to Rowland Springs Resort, which was situated in the Rowland Springs area off Georgia Highway 20. “We think of tourist attractions today but there were these attractions even in the mid- to late 1800s. This particular spring was attracting people across the state and across the region to come in the summer and [at] other times of the year as well.

“But people would come far and wide to the resort for various reasons, be it recreation or medicinal reasons from the springs. ... The resort at one point could accommodate 600 guests. It’s a pretty significant property and buildings and accommodations that [were] related to this resort.”

Open to the public, the Evening Lecture will be held at the BHM, 4 E. Church St. in Cartersville. Free to museum members, the program will be included in the BHM’s regular admission for nonmembers.

According to a BHM news release, “Rowland Springs got its name from Major John S. Rowland, who came to Cass County from Rutherford, North Carolina in 1839. In 1843, he acquired [2,000] acres about six miles east of Cartersville which he developed into a summer resort.

“Prior to the Civil War, this resort was one of the finest and most popular in the state — not only because of its beauty, but the medicinal properties of its spring water. It was not uncommon for the Governor and Mrs. Joseph E. Brown to visit Rowland Springs Resort ... [which] closed around 1925.”

For more information on the BHM and its programs, call 770-382-3818, ext. 6288 or visit www.bartowhistorymuseum.org.