Local public entities have announced their plans for closings tomorrow while Bartow County and Cartersville City are planning on how they will tackle the threat of icy roads and snow accumulation after Gov. Nathan Deal declared a state of emergency for Bartow County.
“We have a plan that we put in place for events like this, so we’ve designated certain people to be on second shift and so I called them yesterday and told them not to come into work today. They will come in at midnight [Monday], and then once they get through with that shift, we’ll basically be on 7 [a.m.] to 7 [p.m.] shifts and second shift will come in at 7 p.m. and work to 7 a.m. until these two events are over,” Cartersville Public Works Director Tommy Sanders said. “This morning at the public safety building, we had a briefing from the National Weather Service and they’re looking at it as two separate events — there’s going to be an event tonight and then there’s going to be a 12-hour downtime, then there’s going to be another event coming in Tuesday that will last through Thursday.
“We’re getting all our chainsaws ready and sharpened with extra chains and chain oil and we’re basically positioning, getting all our equipment filled up and positioning where we need to be so that we can react to whatever happens.”
Bartow County EMA Director Paul Cuprowski said the department encourages residents to stay tuned to weather reports and to stay off the roads during inclement weather.
“It’s a matter of keeping people off the roads, keeping everybody safe, and if we don’t have power outages, then I think we’ll be just fine,” he said.
Closings for today and tomorrow:
• All Bartow County government buildings will be closed Tuesday;
• Cartersville government will make a decision Tuesday morning regarding closings;
• Cartersville schools will be closed Tuesday and all after school activities and meetings for today beginning at 6 p.m. are cancelled;
• Bartow County schools will be closed Tuesday and all after school activities and meetings for today beginning at 6 p.m. are cancelled;
• Chattahoochee Technical College will close at 8:30 p.m. and will remain closed Tuesday;
• Georgia Highlands College has not made a decision at this time regarding Tuesday.
Read tomorrow’s edition of The Daily Tribune News for additional information.