Larry Owens was re-appointed to the Northwest Georgia Region I Emergency Medical Services while Rudy Weaver, Brad Cowart and John Hudson were re-appointed to the Construction Board of Adjustments and Appeals.
The approved DNR grant application is for a planned walking trail through approximately 250 to 300 acres of greenspace the county acquired last month. In October the Conservation Fund asked the county to take possession of the land, which is a Lake Allatoona watershed as it has part of Stamp Creek running through it. However, the land does not extend to the lake itself.
The Conservation Fund donated the acreage, so the county acquired the land at no cost. It will form part of a conceptual green corridor, County Administrator Steve Bradley said.
“We have a concept of a green corridor that would go from the trail in Paulding County, the Silver Comet Trail, coming up from the south part of Bartow County. ... That’s the concept that we’ve been working on in the future,” he said.
The concept, according to Bradley, would link a number of local lakes and hiking trails together in a conservation and passive recreation greenspace that would extend from the county line with Paulding County north toward the line with Cherokee County.
While the total amount of the grant cannot be determined until the application is sent in, Bradley said the county could receive $25,000 to $100,000 to build the trail.
Other commissioner business included:
• Approving a deferred compensation plan for Bartow County employees.
• Approving a pollution control revenue obligation for Georgia Power.
• Approving a contract with All Top Roofing Service to replace sections of the county Church Annex Building in the amount of $78,466.
• Declaring certain county property surplus and approving its sale or disposal.
• Approving a contract with T.J. Lyle & Company for the water main project on Ga. Highway 113 in the sum of $1,458,483.98.
• Approving a contract with C.H. Kirkpatrick & Sons for the water main project on Highway 113 in the sum of $598,174.14.
• Approving a contract with T.J. Lyle & Company for sewer rehabilitation on Two Run Creek in the sum of $281,683.38.
The Bartow County commissioner’s next meeting is scheduled for Dec. 5 at 10 a.m. at the Frank Moore Administrative and Judicial Center.