Canes win thriller, face Thomson next
by Andrew B. Adler
Nov 24, 2012 | 2568 views | 0 0 comments | 13 13 recommendations | email to a friend | print
For all practical purposes Brandon Wells had already resigned himself to the Blessed Trinity Titans kicking a game-tying 26-yard field goal with less than 10 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter that would send the game into overtime. Little did Wells know that what happened next would leave him stunned and speechless as he slowly made his way back to the field house.

“My assignment on the play was to cover the tight end,” said the senior linebacker as he recalled his interception that preserved the Cartersville Purple Hurricanes’ lead and enabled them to advance the third round of the Class AAA state playoffs.

A coin toss sometime today will determine if Cartersville or the Thomson Bulldogs will be the host team.

“I had no idea they would fake the field goal attempt, but I realized something was up when their tight end broke from the line of scrimmage.”

Staying with his assignment, Wells broke for the ball as soon at it was released.

“I was the only one who stayed back on the play, which allowed me to see the play develop,” he said. “I just knew we had to make a stop on that drive.”

Wells’s interception was just one of several heart-stopping plays, both on offense and defense, that enabled the Canes to come from behind to defeat the Titans, 24-23, Friday night a Weinman Stadium.

Prior to the Canes’ final defensive stop, Blessed Trinity had taken a 21-17 lead on Spencer McManes’ 1-yard quarterback keeper with 5:03 remaining in the fourth quarter, which in turn was followed by Brooks Barden’s 1-yard quarterback keeper with 2:12 remaining and a 24-21 Canes’ lead.

Barden’s touchdown capped a drive that started at their own 25-yard line and featured an 11-yard pass completion from Barden to Gordon Gray on fourth-and-10 at the Titans’ 27-yard line and a 20-yard Barden-to-Hayes Linn pass completion on third-and-15 at their own 21.

“On that drive he [Brooks Barden] began distributing the ball to his playmakers,” Gray said.

“Once we scored I went over to our defense and told them we still had two minutes to play,” Barden added.

To read the rest of this story, please purchase a copy of The Daily Tribune News at your nearby news rack or subscribe to the E-edition.