Cartersville stabbing victim dies; offender charged with murder
by Staff Report
Feb 12, 2012 | 4909 views | 0 0 comments | 9 9 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The victim of a stabbing incident last Sunday died Thursday at an area hospital.

According to the Bartow County Sheriff's Office, James David Ayers, 70, had been hospitalized for multiple stab wounds prior to his death. Friday morning Ayers was taken to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation State Crime Lab in Decatur for autopsy.

Herbert Drews -- who has been jailed since the incident and is accused in the case -- is now charged with murder in addition to his original charges. Drews is currently at the Bartow County Jail awaiting a superior court hearing for bond.

Fire destroys residence

A fire in the early hours of Friday destroyed one home and caused damage at a neighboring residence.

According to Bartow County Fire Department's Sgt. Lisa Hahn, the home at 15 Camden Woods Drive was fully involved when firefighters arrived at 3:32 a.m. BCFD stations 1, 2 and 12 worked the blaze, which spread to a vehicle next door at 17 Camden Woods Drive.

Residents were not home at the time of the blaze and the cause remains under investigation. Because of the extent of damage, the origin of the fire could not be located.

No one was injured, and BCFD personnel were back in service just before 6 a.m.

Both Cartersville and Bartow County fire departments were extremely busy over the weekend battling everthing from chimney fires (no damage reported), to a 150-acre forest fire off River Bend Road, to a machine fire at a business at 280 Industrial Park Road. At press time Saturday night they were responding to a multi-unit complex fire at Paige Street in Cartersville.

Bartow County Sheriff's

Office verifies status of

county sex offenders

From Jan. 30 to Feb. 1, the Bartow County Sheriff's Office Sex Offender Unit conducted a county registered sex offender verification to ensure all registered sex offenders were in compliance of the state sex offender laws.

According to the Bartow County Sheriff's Office, the compliance check found that 98 percent of all registered sex offenders in Bartow County are in compliance with applicable state laws. BCSO said that steps are being taken to ensure the other 2 percent become compliant or are arrested.

Also involved in the verification process was the Criminal Investigations Division, Drug Task Force, uniform patrol, jail division deputies, State Probation, State Pardons and patrol officers.

Bartow County has 163 registered sex offenders. Based on the verifications reported -- of the 163, 32 are incarcerated and 132 were found at addressed provided to BCSO. Another 14 were verified through probation or parole officers who check on the addresses of offenders. Two offenders have moved to other counties or states, and one offender has passed away.

According to BCSO, the remaining 14 are unverified due to being unable to confirm addresses -- which BCSO said may be due to the time of day the residences were checked and work schedule of the offenders. BCSO said the Bartow County Sheriff's Office Sex Offender Unit will check the addresses and contacts for the remaining 14 and will obtain warrants for those who refuse to comply.