The two chemicals used in making the foam had been poured into bags and placed inside the trash container, which was covered with a secured tarp, according to BCFD officials at the scene. Initially dispatched as a fire, the reaction created an off-color, creosote-odor smoke.
The contents, although smoldering, never ignited.
Bartow County Fire Department, Cartersville Fire Department, EMS and the HAZMAT unit were dispatched to the scene about 6 p.m.
Firefighters used thermal imaging technology from a distance of about 150 feet to determine the contents of the garbage bin were smoldering at around 100 degrees prior to any action being taken.
A chemical expert advised that flooding the container with water would speed up the components' reaction, causing the foam to solidify. Initial attempts at flooding the container were not successful, but after removing the tarp covering the bin, units were able to apply water and cool the foam mass.
No one was injured, and no evacuations were ordered.