Jury decides fate of accused in Metro PCS robbery
by Shaka S. Lias
Jan 06, 2011 | 3151 views | 0 0 comments | 11 11 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Minutes after being found not guilty on Wednesday afternoon, Kristy Nicole Richardson said she has learned a valuable lesson.

"Stay away from bad trouble. Oh, Lord, stay away from bad trouble," said the 22-year-old who was on trial facing charges of party to a crime of armed robbery.

Richardson said she was initially afraid to do a jury trial, but trusted her lawyer.

"She said she had it under control," Richardson said.

Her co-defendant Henry Antonio Taylor, 31, was found guilty of armed robbery and four counts of false imprisonment. He will be sentenced Jan. 25 at 9 a.m. Another man involved, Corey Mandrill Thompson, 27, pleaded guilty on Tuesday and received a 40-year sentenced, serving 20 in prison and the remainder on probation.

The men robbed Metro PCS located at 110 Merchants Square on July 29, 2010.

Karen Wilkes, attorney for Richardson, said she's proud of her client.

"She was brave enough to go forward and want to tell her side of the story, and I supported her all the way in doing that," Wilkes said.

Richardson took the stand Wednesday morning, testifying for nearly two hours. She said when Thompson and Taylor asked her for a ride to the Guesthouse Inn she thought she was taking them to purchase marijuana from a resident there. Richardson said she had no idea the men were walking around the building to the Metro PCS store, where they would rob the store as she sat and waited.

She said still didn't know they robbed the store when they came running in her direction. When she questioned why they were running, "Somebody was trying to (rob) us," she testified Taylor said.

She said Thompson told her, "It's okay baby." Richardson said it wasn't until later that night when Thompson confessed to her.

Richardson said he told her that he felt sick to his stomach because he did something he wasn't supposed to do. When she asked what, he told her they robbed the Metro PCS store.

"I was mad that he involved me in something like that, I have two kids," Richardson said. She testified that she told him if someone asked her about the robbery she was telling.

"I didn't get any sleep that night," Richardson testified.

The following day Richardson was pulled over by a Bartow County deputy as she, Thompson and her two kids drove to meet her father.

Cross examined by Assistant District Attorney Sharon Fox, Richardson said she didn't call the police to report what Thompson told her because he was around.

Sgt. Jonathan Rogers with the Bartow County Sheriff's Office said he is satisfied with the jury's decision.

"I feel it was a fair decision; I think the persons most involved has been convicted of the crime," Rogers said.