Bartow County Sheriff's Office deputies responded and met with the homeowner who said he was awakened by the blast and went outside and discovered the mailbox had been blown up.
The deputy reported smelling a burned odor similar to that caused by fireworks. No explosives were found.
Man stabs 'roommate' in self defense
A Guesthouse Apartments resident said Sunday that he stabbed the homeless man he had allowed to stay with him in self-defense.
According to the report, the man said about 1 p.m. that Andrew Hopkins, who was intoxicated, had asked for money and became angry when the man refused. An argument ensued.
When the man attempted to call 911, Hopkins punched the man in the head and body. During the struggle, the man said he grabbed a small pocket knife and stabbed Hopkins in the left leg twice and tried to get away.
Hopkins caught the man and threw him against a car before fleeing. He was later apprehended and taken to Cartersville Medical Center.
The man suffered injuries to his head and hand. He was not charged.
Hopkins was charged with simple battery under the Family Violence Act.
BCFD offers mutual aid to Gordon County
Bartow County Fire Department on Monday aided Gordon County on a chimney fire in Adairsville.
The blaze on Dempsey Loop started when the fireplace flume failed. The home suffered about $5,000 in damages, including light smoke and water damage inside.
No one was injured.
Cartersville Fire Department on Saturday night extinguished a trailer fire at 218 Stonewall St. The trailer, which was being used as storage, was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived shortly after 10 p.m.
The cause remains under investigation, and no one was injured.
Fire suppression sprinklers work
An early evening fire Monday at Parkway North Apartments at 1400 Joe Frank Harris Parkway in Cartersville was extinguished by the apartment unit's sprinkler system before several units from both Cartersville and Bartow County fire departments could arrive on scene.
"When we arrived on scene the fire was out and all we saw was a little bit of smoke and water running out of the building," said Cartersville Fire Engine 2's Lt. Johnny Frasier. He said the fire was contained to Apt. 334 and was started by a grease fire that ignited the cabinets above the stove. He added that the complex's maintenance personnel had everything under control when units arrived.