Man airlifted after crash involving fire engine
by Staff Report
Jul 26, 2011 | 6288 views | 0 0 comments | 22 22 recommendations | email to a friend | print
One person was airlifted to an Atlanta hospital after a vehicle struck a Bartow County Fire Department engine Monday afternoon.

According to BCFD, an engine was conducting hydrant checks along Highway 411 in the area of Hardin Bridge Road and the Anheuser-Busch property about 2:15 p.m. when a Honda Accord hit the rear of the engine.

The driver had to be extricated from the vehicle and was airlifted to Atlanta Medical Center with unknown injuries.

No firefighters were injured, and the engine suffered extensive damage.

The Georgia State Patrol on Monday night declined to release information on the accident, saying the crash remains under investigation.

Man snatches cash

from store register

A convenience store was robbed Sunday evening of an unknown amount of cash in a grab-and-go theft.

Cartersville police were called to the Exxon, 1340 E. Main St., after a black male snatched cash from the clerk.

According to the report, the man came into the store about 8:30 p.m. and asked for a cigarillo. When the woman went to give the man his change, the man reached over the counter and began grabbing the cash from the register. The woman said the suspect told her to back up when she went to stop him, but she never saw a weapon.

The man, described as 30 to 35 years of age and 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 8 inches tall, was wearing a white shirt and black pants, driving a gray Chevy Impala sedan.

Employee arrested for theft of lottery tickets, cigarettes and cash

Bartow County Sheriff's Office deputies were called to Cass Grocery, 1810 Cassville Grocery, Sunday afternoon after the owner said an employee had stolen items from the business.

According to the report, an employee called the owner after she noticed lottery tickets missing and security cameras moved. The owner asked David Sharpe, who had worked earlier in the day, if he knew anything about the suspicious changes. The owner said Sharpe denied knowledge of what had occurred.

After reviewing security footage, which showed Sharpe move the camera, remove the tickets and cigarettes, and take $120, the deputy contacted Sharpe at his residence.

Sharpe denied taking anything from the store, but when the deputy said he had reviewed the footage, Sharpe said he paid for the items.

He was arrested and charged with theft by taking.