Man apprehended after fleeing police
by Staff Report
Dec 06, 2013 | 1140 views | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Just after noon Wednesday, a Cartersville Police Department officer responded to the area of Hannon Way in reference to attempting to locate a burglary suspect, which resulted in an arrest, according to an incident report.

Upon arrival to the area, the officer observed a white Ford Explorer with only a paper tag matching the description of the vehicle he was trying to locate near the intersection of Hannon Way at 8 Fredda Lane.

The officer and a Bartow County Sheriff’s Office deputy initiated contact with the individuals who were outside of the residence at Fredda Lane. The homeowner gave consent to search the residence.

The deputy observed someone in the home and asked repeatedly to see the individual’s hands. The officer then arrived at the door to the residence, which was open, and observed a black male who appeared to be in his 20s with little facial hair.

The deputy reported that at first he could only see one of the male’s hands as he looked left toward the officer and deputy, then around, then began to flee the scene on foot to his right toward the rear of the building.

The deputy then circled around the outside of the building in order to try to catch up to the subject. The subject already had cleared the fence and fled the scene.

As other officers were in the area, they continued the chase and the deputy returned to the front of the residence with the CPD officer.

The officer was then informed that another subject had fled with the first subject, who was later identified as Craig Smalls. Small allegedly dropped a small digital scale on the floor of the apartment when he fled.

Smalls was then apprehended in the back yard of a private residence at 340 Cassville Road. The officer was then given custody of Smalls at 8 Fredda Lane where he was handcuffed and transported to the CPD for booking and processing.

Smalls stated his real name was Craig Smalls and that he had provided the officers who had apprehended him with a name of “Brandon Smalls.” He advised Brandon Smalls was his brother and he had thought he had a warrant out for his own arrest.