The deputy spoke to the complainant who said while sitting on his porch, he heard repeated screams for help from the victim's home. The man told police he found the man on the ground near a wheelchair ramp at the rear of the home and called 911.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, the victim told them his name and address but said he didn't remembered how the fire started. The fire, which started from the grass area beside the home and spread into a nearby field, was extinguished by Bartow County firefighters.
The victim's niece said he suffered mental problems. She said the victim normally attends church with her, but he stayed home Sunday.
The victim was flown to Grady Memorial Hospital. Personnel with Grady Memorial said no one was listed under the victim's name.
Intoxicated man sleeps in store restroom
A Bartow County deputy was dispatched to 997 Cass White Road in reference to disorderly conduct at Cass-White Grocery Store. While en route, the deputy was advised there was a person inside the bathroom refusing to come out. Smoke was visible under the restroom door.
Upon arrival, the deputy smelled cigarette smoke and an odor of alcohol. According to the report, the deputy located two boxes of alcohol, one half empty.
The store manger said the person had been in the restroom for a while and he wanted him out. The deputy then asked the person to come out of the restroom, but the man refused, saying he was using the restroom.
The manger unlocked the door and the man, identified as Timothy Farmer, stepped out. While talking to the offender, the deputy smelled a strong odor of alcohol and noticed him swaying. The offender admitted to having consumed alcohol. An Alco-Sencor test was performed and showed positive for alcohol. He was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.
Inside the restroom, the deputy observed several large glass beer bottles, partially empty, as well as cigarettes in a can. The deputy stated it appeared the offender had been living in the space overnight.