Smoke from heater causes nursing home evacuation
by Staff Report
Nov 01, 2011 | 1149 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Staff and residents of Maple Ridge Nursing Home began their Halloween with a bit of excitement.

Emergency personnel were dispatched to the facility at 22 Maple Ridge Drive shortly before 2 a.m. Monday after a heater in the area of the nursing station caused smoke alarms to sound.

A Bartow County Sheriff's Office deputy reported smelling a burning odor but could not find the source. Maple Ridge personnel evacuated residents as a precaution.

Bartow County Fire Department said no one was injured and there was no damage.



Numerous reports of auto break-ins

BCSO and Cartersville Police Department worked numerous reports of auto theft over the weekend.

CPD received three reports from apartments at 950 E. Main St. of cars being broken into overnight Saturday. A GPS device, paperwork, a camera and a radio were reported stolen, and one resident reported finding tractor-trailer logbooks that did not belong to her inside her car. Two of the three vehicles were unlocked.

CPD also received two entering auto reports from Thoroughbred Lane, where a book bag and two GPS devices were taken.

BCSO received a report of two vehicles being broken into on Westside Chase in Cartersville overnight Saturday, with a total of $725 in items taken.