Suspects elude deputies after vehicle chase
by Staff Report
Apr 03, 2014 | 2091 views | 0 0 comments | 30 30 recommendations | email to a friend | print
At least one suspect is still at large after a vehicle chase down Cass-White Road Tuesday night.

According to the Bartow County Sheriff’s Office incident report, a deputy saw a 2000 Buick Park Avenue drive past him with “extremely dark windows.” When the deputy attempted to perform a traffic stop, the vehicle turned in to the Cass-White Grocery parking lot and accelerated in an attempt to flee. The deputy pursued the vehicle through the parking lot, into the Travel Center of America’s parking lot and later on to Cass-white Road.

The vehicle fled down Cass-White Road and turned left on Spring Place Road, where, according to the report, the suspect drove at a high rate of speed and allegedly passed several vehicles on the wrong side of the road. The suspect later turned on to Gaines Road and then on to Crowe Springs Road, where the deputy lost sight of the suspect.

Additional deputies searched the area, but were unable to find the Buick. However, a Crowe Springs Road resident called 911 and said a tan Buick “just flew into his backyard and all the occupants fled into the woods,” according to the report.

Once deputies were on scene, James Prince Haley was found standing near the vehicle. Haley was detained and later identified the driver.

After searching the vehicle’s trunk, deputies found a black bag containing a set of digital scales and seven bags of new syringes.

Haley was transported to the Bartow County Jail to be held for Pickens County Sheriff’s Office, as there was a warrant out for his arrest.

Taylorsville man turns himself in

A Taylorsville man suspected of burglarizing a Cartersville home turned himself in at the sheriff’s office Tuesday.

According to a BCSO press release, Cassidy Cam Cowart, 24, of 131 Miller Farm Road, Taylorsville, was suspected of breaking into a Katie Ridge residence between March 5 and March 19. Cowart allegedly took several items from inside and outside the residence during the burglary. Some of the times stolen, according to the release, were sold at a local recycling center between the two dates. Although some of the items had been recovered, others had already been recycled.

Cowart is charged with first-degree burglary, misdemeanor theft by taking and misdemeanor theft by deception.

Two arrested for Wal-Mart paint deception scheme

After attempting to defraud the Cartersville Wal-Mart with a paint return scheme, two men were arrested Tuesday afternoon.

A BCSO deputy met with the store’s loss prevention personnel, who said they were aware of two men, Anthony Williams and Marvin O’Neal, who had deceived “several” Wal-Mart stores in the metro Atlanta area, according to the incident report.

Security footage showed O’Neal and Williams arriving at the store together, with O’Neal walking back to the paint department to use the phone. O’Neal reportedly called the customer service desk, and on the third try he spoke with a store associate. O’Neal allegedly told the store employee he was an associate in the paint department and that Williams would be returning some extra paint he had left over from a job. Williams, in turn, told the store employee that another associate would be calling her with the barcode for the return. According to the report, O’Neal did call with a barcode and the total amount to be refunded was $345.70.

When the deputy entered the store he saw Williams standing at the customer service desk. Though Williams attempted to leave the store, he was stopped by both the deputy and a loss prevention officer. As the deputy attempted to locate O’Neal, Williams got away from the loss prevention officer and was able to meet up with O’Neal in the Lowe’s parking lot.

The two suspects left the area in a white Dodge Ram pickup, but the deputy was able to perform a traffic stop on them in the area of Felton Road and Cain Drive.

Both Martin and O’Neal were arrested and charged with attempted theft by deception. Warrants were also being secured in Cobb County for theft by deception, according to the report.

GHC classrooms burglarized

At least seven classrooms on the second floor of Georgia Highlands College were broken into sometime between Monday and Tuesday.

According to the BCSO incident report, a GHC security guard said the last time anyone saw the doors damaged was Monday at 3:30 p.m. The only items that were confirmed as stolen when the report was made was an Apple MacBook laptop and its charger. Several other laptops and calculators were reportedly left in the rooms.

The laptop was entered into the Georgia Crime Information Center as being stolen.

Woman leaves children alone during grocery run

One woman left her children home alone while she went to buy food Tuesday night.

A Cartersville police officer responded to a call from a witness who said they returned to their Governors Court residence to find a juvenile walking around the parking lot. The juvenile reportedly said he could not find his mother and later complained of being hungry.

The witness said he took the juvenile to his home to watch him until a parent could be notified. The witness said the juvenile was with him for approximately 30 minutes.

After the officer arrived, the juvenile’s parent arrived at her residence. The suspect said she left her two children asleep in the apartment while she went to get them some food, according to the report. She said she was gone for approximately five minutes.

The suspect allowed the officer to enter her residence, where a second juvenile was heard crying in another room. The officer saw the second juvenile standing in her crib, crying. When asked, the suspect said there were no other people in the apartment.

The officer noted the apartment was “slightly” disarrayed, but it was “not unclean.” With the suspect’s consent, the officer inspected the cabinets and refrigerator and found there was an “ample amount of food for the family,” according to the report. He also noted the children were “excited” to see their mother and neither appeared to have any unusual bruises or abrasions.

The Division of Family and Children Services was contacted and informed of the situation. The suspect was told DFCS would be in contact with her.

Warrants were taken out on the suspect for two counts of deprivation of a minor.