Two children airlifted in separate Sunday crashes
by Staff Report
Jun 21, 2011 | 5198 views | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Two juveniles were transported to Scottish Rite Sunday following two separate accidents.

Sunday at 5:15 p.m. a one-vehicle crash in Emerson sent eight people to the hospital, including a child who was flown to the Atlanta children's hospital.

According to Emerson Police Chief Stan Bradley, Ricky Patel was driving the silver Honda Odyssey minivan northbound on Interstate 75 near Red Top Mountain Road when he lost control while changing lanes. The vehicle left the roadway and overturned, ejecting two passengers.

The juvenile was flown to Scottish Rite with injuries that were not life-threatening. Two other passengers were taken by Bartow EMS to Kennestone Hospital; neither suffered serious injury. The remaining five passengers were transported to Cartersville Medical Center with minor injuries.

In a Sunday morning crash, a 12-year-old Tennessee boy was flown to Scottish Rite after a Ford Explorer overturned near mile marker 302 on I-75. He reportedly suffered head injuries and, according to reports, was unconscious when emergency personnel arrived.

Three other passengers suffered minor injuries.

The Georgia State Patrol said the accident remains under investigation.

Man says pair pushed

him, took money

A Cartersville man said two brothers came to his residence Sunday morning to collect money before pushing him down and taking $40 in cash.

According to the Cartersville police incident report, the man was awakened by the sound of knocking at his Montgomery Street home and found Edgar Paredes Cabrera at his door demanding money. The man said as he went to his work vehicle to retrieve it, Hugo Orlanda Cabrera exited a car and began to approach him. Feeling threatened, the man took out a hammer and began walking back to the house.

Edgar Cabrera moved onto the porch, blocking the man's path and refused to move. Hugo Cabrera began to yell something at the victim, who looked away to see what was happening. At that time, Edgar Cabrera pushed the victim to the ground and took the hammer. The man was able to convince the suspect to let him up to retrieve the money. He gave the pair $40 and they left.

The brothers were later located and placed under arrest. Edgar Cabrera was charged with battery and driving with suspended or revoked license. Hugo Cabrera was charged with when a person is party to a crime - battery and driving without a license.

The victim complained of back pain and had visible bruising and a cut on his left arm but refused medical treatment.

Man arrested for drug possession

On Sunday afternoon, Bartow County Sheriff's deputies were called to Douthit Ferry Road after a complainant said he heard gunshots and found a green Honda Accord trespassing.

According to the report, the deputy spoke with the owner of the vehicle who said his sons were target practicing at an unknown location.

Deputies watching the area observed the Honda leave the area and attempted to stop the car. According to the report, the driver emptied a small plastic bag out the driver's side window and discard the bag.

When the vehicle stopped, Ben Gilstrap told deputies he knew nothing of the trespassing or the plastic bag thrown from the window.

A deputy located the bag along the roadway. A green leafy substance, suspected to be marijuana, was observed around the front driver's and passenger's seating area.

Gilstrap was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana less than 1 ounce.

Woman punches security guard

Cartersville police were called to Elixir, 908 Joe Frank Harris Parkway, just after 1 a.m. Sunday after a security guard said a female patron punched him.

According to the report, the guard said he was attempting to break up a fight when Arlethia Williams punched him in the face. The guard had blood on the left side of his face.

Williams told the officer she was only trying to pull her friend out of the fight and did not hit the man. Blood spatter was observed on Williams' face.

She was arrested and charged with battery.