Two injured in propane fire
by Jessica Loeding
Feb 19, 2014 | 2454 views | 0 0 comments | 30 30 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Two people working on a propane heater Tuesday afternoon were injured when the gas ignited.

The man and woman were connecting a propane bottle to a “campfire-type heater,” Bartow County Fire Department Capt. Kerry Howell said, when the gas ignited and “flamed up,” igniting a fire that destroyed the residence.

Stations 1, 2, 7 and 12 responded to the U.S. Highway 411 structure after 4:30 p.m. and remained on scene after 9:30 p.m.

According to Howell, a tree had fallen on the home in January and the permits to begin repairs were obtained Tuesday. The residence was deemed a total loss.

Bartow County Emergency Medical Services Public Safety Coordinator Brad Cothran said EMS transported the man and woman with minor burns to the hands and face to Cartersville Medical Center.

Howell said at 9:30 p.m. the two had been treated and released.

Crews closed portions of Highway 411 west of Martin Road as firefighters battled the blaze. Lanes were reopened by early evening.