Death of sister’s killer brings ‘closure’ for brother


Marlon Haney found closure this week more than 35 years after his sister was stabbed to death.Larry Dover, convicted of killing his wife, Linda Haney Dover, died after a bizarre series of events Monday left another man dead and a woman threatened and her home burned. According to media accounts, Larry Dover shot at a woman he knew about 11 a.m. Monday outside Trion in Chattooga County. When she pulled into a store, Dover put the gun to her head and pulled the trigger, but the weapon misfired. She fled into the store, and Dover left.After speaking with investigators, the woman returned home and found the house on fire. Authorities say it is possible Dover set the blaze.Meanwhile, in Floyd County, Wesley Wayne Stewart, 69, was found dead — possibly beaten — inside his home. Dover was located about 4:45 p.m. Monday in Stewart’s truck on a dirt road in Chattooga. When deputies approached, Dover shot himself in the head and died en route to an area hospital.Chattooga County Sheriff Mark Schrader did not return calls Wednesday.This week’s string of alleged violence at Dover’s hands comes almost 33 years after a Bartow County jury convicted him in the death of his wife.For Haney, Larry Dover’s death is “like putting a closure to it.”“Every time I went to Rome, every time I went to Calhoun, around the surrounding areas, Chattooga County — I always wondered which store, which restaurant will I meet him in. I didn’t know what I would do this time,” Haney said of Dover. “When we are talking about closure, we don’t have to worry about it anymore. What I said on Facebook is, it excites me to know that he is gone and we don’t have to deal with it, but I hurt for his sisters and I hurt for his brothers. He has three wonderful brothers and two wonderful sisters. They are good people. And I hurt for them because it’s a family member that is lost.”According to Georgia Supreme Court records, Larry Dover stabbed his estranged wife, Linda Dover, on Dec. 26, 1980, at their home in Town and County Subdivision in Cartersville.The Dovers had been married for nine years, according to Haney, but Linda had left about two weeks prior to her death and was staying with family. She had returned to the home she shared with Dover the night of her death, but did not call or return to her mother’s as promised.“Momma called me about one o’clock that morning; [Linda] didn’t come home,” Haney said. “She said, ‘Marlon, something ain’t right. She was supposed to come back here and she didn’t. Larry said she’s gone to Bellsouth in Atlanta to pick up checks. She ain’t been home. Something ain’t right.’”Family met with police at the residence that night but did not locate Linda or any signs of foul play.The next day, the family returned. While Haney’s stepfather returned home for a key to the Dover home, Haney began looking around the house.“While he was gone, I walked down to the front door, just looking for anything. I went to the ... garage door, looked around her car, didn’t see nothing. I went to the back door — you had to walk up the deck. I put my boot to the door; I was about to kick the door off the hinges. ... When I did, I looked below me and there was three spots of blood. My heart sank,” Haney said. “... I walked down in the grass, hunting more blood or whatever. I walked around the back of the house, and in the side of the house was a little opening in the underpinning. I walked over there, opened the door and there was Linda wrapped up in a blanket, a green blanket. All I seen was her hand. I run around the house, grabbed momma. ‘She’s dead.’”Larry Dover served more than 26 years in prison, but was paroled in July 2009.Haney said he begged the parole board “for more than 28 years” to keep Dover incarcerated.“I forgave him, but I didn’t forget it. If he could do that to my sister after he was married to her for nine years, what could he do to someone else that wasn’t married to him, you know?” Haney said. “Now, seven years later, you see what happened.”Forgiving was not always so easy for Haney, who now operates his own ministry at the Bartow County Jail.“After she got killed, I made up my mind to kill him. I really, really did,” he said. “Wednesday night right after she got killed, I was at church and I started thinking of ways I could get in and kill him because I was already going to the jail. It was just a bad situation. I came home and throwed the bible down on the bed and said, ‘God, you’re going to help me or I’m going to kill him.’ I really meant what I said. ... I throwed my bible down, and when I did, it opened up to Romans 8:31-39.”Three times in the week that followed, Haney said, that version of Scripture was preached to him in church services.“God spoke so audible to me. He said, ‘You’ll go minister to him. I’ll raise up a ministry.’ And I did,” he said. “God was with me through it all. It ain’t something I want to do again.”