Dollar General robbed at gunpoint
by Staff Reports
Nov 22, 2010 | 4330 views | 0 0 comments | 13 13 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A Cartersville business early Saturday was robbed at gunpoint by a man in a costume mask.

According to the Cartersville police report, about 9 a.m. a black man with dreadlocks wearing a Spiderman mask entered a rear office of Dollar General, 916 Joe Frank Harris Parkway, pointed a gun at the manager and demanded money.

The manager told police she had trouble opening the safe and when she told the suspect that he "cocked" the small, black semi-automatic handgun and said "he didn't want to hear that." After opening the safe, the manager handed over a deposit bag containing $2,915, which he removed from the bag, and offered the man a bag with keys, which he refused. She also offered a cash drawer with $700, causing the man to hesitate.

The suspect then left the office, returning with another store employee. He then took the money he left previously -- about $600 -- and ordered them to the ground. He left the store in a red, four-door 2001-2005 Ford Contour.

The suspect was described as a black man with dreadlocks, 5 feet 8 inches, 165 pounds, wearing a black sweater, dark jeans.

Resident reports duo approach her, one points gun at her

Just after 8 p.m. Saturday, an Evergreen Trail resident told Bartow County Sheriff's Office deputies a man had pointed a gun at her and threatened her.

According to the report, the woman and several friends were outside the residence when a white Ford Taurus pulled up, a black male and black female exited the car.

The man reportedly had a black handgun and the woman had a knife. According to the victim, the man began yelling, saying he "was going to lay y'all bloods out," while walking toward them and pointing the gun.

The man and woman then returned to the vehicle and left.

Business reports juveniles on the roof

A downtown Cartersville business owner reported to Cartersville police she feared her establishment was "becoming known as a 'rooftop hangout' for juveniles."

According to the CPD report, the owner of Write on Main, 107 W. Main St., reported Saturday afternoon five juveniles on the roof of the business. The woman said she heard a noise that sounded "like people jumping up and down on the roof," and when she went to check, she saw five youth -- two Hispanic males, two white males and one white female -- fleeing in "single file" via an alley at the rear of the business.

All five were described as being between 13 and 17 years old with facial piercings and a "punk-style" appearance.

The commotion on the roof caused about $300 in damage to the interior of the store, including blown lights and one light screen felled.

According to the owner, Saturday's incident was not the first time juveniles have been on the roof -- with an incident Thursday and one reported several months ago.

Police confiscate ATV, beer from railroad tracks

Just before 10 p.m. Saturday, Cartersville police pursued two ATVs in the area around Dent Drive, Industrial Park Road and CSX tracks.

According to the report, one ATV fled the scene. The other became stuck on the tracks at Dent Drive with the driver fleeing on foot.

The abandoned camouflage Yamaha ATV, which had the serial number scratched off, was towed. A blue cooler full of beer was also removed.

Vehicle strikes fence at Shaw plant

A 2007 Nissan Sentra traveling south on Rowland Springs Road veered to the right, went through the chain-link fence in the rear of Shaw Plant 12, 790 Joe Frank Harris Parkway, before backing up and continuing south. The vehicle was abandoned after three tires went flat. The driver left the scene.

Accidents and fires

An accident on I-75 in the first minutes of Saturday ended with a vehicle fire and one person transported.

According to the CPD report, about 12:30 a.m. a 2001 Freightliner vehicle was struck in the rear by a 2001 Toyota Camry. The Camry hit the truck, traveled across two lanes of traffic before striking a guardrail and catching fire.

The driver of the Camry was transported for minor cuts. There were no reports of other injuries or citations.

The Georgia State Patrol reported no serious accidents, injuries or fatalities in the 24 hours preceding 6 p.m. Sunday.

Cartersville Fire Department reported no fires in the same time period.