Body of drowning victim recovered
by Staff Report
Nov 11, 2011 | 3724 views | 0 0 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Area dive teams and a private contractor recovered Thursday the body of an Oct. 15 drowning victim, according to Bruce King, acting battalion chief for Bartow County Fire Department.

Tommy Moore of Plainfield, Ind., fell into Lake Allatoona at Red Top Mountain's Park Marina. Moore, a wheelchair-bound man attending a family reunion, was exiting a boat onto a dock when he went into the water.

According to a Department of Natural Resources release, agencies working this incident since Oct. 15 have included Georgia DNR, Bartow County Emergency Management Agency, Bartow County EMS, Bartow County Dive Team, Bartow County Sheriff's Office, Bartow County Fire and Rescue, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Park Marina and the Georgia State Patrol and Cobb County Police dive teams. Additional assistance was given by private companies Dive 911 (Acworth), Team Watters Inc. (Morrow, Ill.) and Submerged Recovery Inspection Services LLC (Arlington, Wash.).

Personnel with the above agencies worked aggressively following the incident to attempt to recover Moore through a variety of methods, including underwater cameras, multiple dive teams, scanning technology, sonar, vertical drags, daily patrols and more with efforts sometimes hampered by weather and visibility conditions, the release stated.

Obstacles complicating the search included deep water; proximity to the dock -- sonar and drag system not able to get underneath the dock due to cables; and construction debris on the lake bottom.

On Wednesday about 4:30 p.m., DNR Cpl. Chip Cox and Capt. Rob Tanner with Bartow County Fire and Rescue identified what they thought to be the victim. Use of a remote-operated underwater camera confirmed the victim's location at 9:15 a.m. on Thursday, according to the DNR. Moore's body was found beneath the dock at a depth of about 68 feet.

Bartow County Fire and Rescue and DNR conservation rangers were able to successfully recover the victim at 1:55 p,m.

The investigation into the incident concluded with no charges filed.