@White=[C] Two die in single-vehicle crash on Hwy 411
by Staff Report
Sep 04, 2012 | 3246 views | 0 0 comments | 18 18 recommendations | email to a friend | print

Emergency personnel Monday evening worked a double fatality on U.S. Highway 411 toward Rome, which accounted for the only deaths on Bartow County roads during the extended holiday weekend.

Georgia State Patrol Public Information Officer Gordy Wright said late Monday troopers were on the scene of the crash near Rogers Cut Off Road.

The initial indication was that about 6:45 p.m. a Chevrolet Trailblazer was westbound when the vehicle left the roadway, traveled down a steep embankment and hit several trees, Wright said.

Two people — both passengers — were killed. The driver was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital with head trauma.

Wright said information on the victims would be released pending notification of the next of kin.

The Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team from Calhoun will conduct the follow-up investigation, and charges against the driver are pending.

Bartow County Fire Department said two other victims were airlifted in weekend crashes. The first patient was flown out following a single-vehicle accident on Grogan Road Saturday about 5:15 p.m. A Sunday afternoon crash between two vehicles on New Hope Church Road sent one to the hospital by life-flight.

Man head-butts Cartersville officer after arrest

A Cartersville police officer was called to Ingles on West Avenue Friday night in response to a criminal damage to property report.

When he arrived, the victim said someone had broken a window in his vehicle. According to the report, there was a broken, wooden stick laying next to the victim’s car and the driver’s side rear window was shattered. There were also a number of other marks on the vehicle that appeared to have been caused by the stick.

A witness said he saw a man get out of a light blue, mid-1990s Ford pickup and hit the victim’s car several times before breaking the window. The witness had called 911 to report the incident and was able to give police the vehicle’s license plate number.

Shortly thereafter, the responding officer received a call saying the truck had been found. The responding officer arrived at the address and spoke with the vehicle’s owner, who said Caleb Gramling was with him when he went to Ingles. The owner also said Gramling got out of his truck and allegedly started to beat the victim’s car with a wooden stick until the window broke.

The owner also pulled a piece of wood from his truck that seemed to match the stick used at Ingles.

Gramling was arrested at the scene and transported to the Cartersville Police Department. When he arrived, Gramling “became very irate and belligerent,” according to the report. The responding officer asked for another officer to help him move Gramling from his patrol car into the building.

As the two officers were escorting Gramling into the book in area, Gramling head-butted the second officer.

After the head-butting, Cartersville police decided to take Gramling to the Bartow County Sheriff’s Office. While en route, Gramling said the responding officer had “better not live in Bartow County.” When asked why, Gramling said when he was released from jail he going to blow the officer’s car up while he was in it.

Gramling was charged with criminal trespasss, felony obstruction of a law enforcement officer, battery of a law enforcement officer and terroristic threats.

Man flees police, vehicle hits pole

As a Cartersville police officer conducted a traffic stop on West Avenue Sunday night, the suspect placed his vehicle in park while it was still in motion and jumped out. The vehicle continued moving until it struck a light pole and stopped.

The suspect, later identified as Lequarius Y. Young, ran toward Henderson Drive and the officer pursued him in his patrol vehicle. Young ran behind several businesses along Henderson Drive before crossing Old Mill Road and going behind an apartment complex. While pursuing on foot, the officer yelled for Young to lay on the floor. When he did, Young was placed under arrest.

Young was charged with driving while unlicensed, defective brake light, disorderly conduct and probation violation.

Stolen boat recovered with jet ski

A BCSO deputy was dispatched to Wilderness Camp Marina in reference to a theft. The victim said he was walking down the dock when he saw his boat floating out on the lake. Thinking it had broken loose and floated away, he borrowed a friend’s jet ski and road out to his boat.

As he approached his boat, the victim saw a man, John Landers, kneeling on the floor. When Landers saw the victim approaching, he attempted to flee, but the victim jumped into the boat and, according to the report, gained control by pushing Landers out.

The deputy spoke with a witness who said he saw the two men fighting on the boat and he went out to help. When he pulled up, the victim said Landers was stealing his boat and asked for assistance.

Landers said he was invited by a woman named April to work on her boat. According to the report, she was not in the boat when the victim jumped in.

The victim said he did not know anyone named April.

The deputy reported the boat’s ignition was punched out and a rope was tied to the cut-off switch. A pair of pliers and a screwdriver were also on the floor under the dashboard.

Landers was arrested and charged with damage to property and theft by taking. He was transported ot the Bartow County Jail without incident.