Deceased identified in DTF shooting
by Staff Report
Nov 20, 2012 | 5172 views | 0 0 comments | 14 14 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The woman shot and killed during the execution of a search warrant Thursday night on Evergreen Trail has been identified.

Gloria Jean Murray, 66, was the target of a narcotics warrant being served by the Bartow-Cartersville Drug Task Force, according to officials. Sheriff Clark Millsap said Friday that Murray was armed when members of the DTF entered the residence during the “no-knock warrant.”

Georgia Bureau of Investigation Special Agent in Charge Jerry Scott said there was no estimated timeline for when the investigation would be concluded.

The two DTF agents involved in the shooting remained on administrative leave Monday.

Millsap said Monday that under a no-knock warrant the language must spell out that the officer has knowledge that the person is armed or has made threats to shoot members of law enforcement or another person. Officers also may write a no-knock warrant if they believe there is an immediate danger to others.

“All that has to be spelled out” and a judge has to sign off on the warrant, Millsap said.

Police also can request a no-knock warrant if they believe evidence will be destroyed — such as flushing or disposing of drugs.

Millsap said Bartow County Sheriff’s Office deputies will announce themselves even under a no-knock. Unlike the execution of a search warrant where officers knock and wait to be allowed into the home, under a no-knock officers announce themselves just before they make forced entry into the home.

Fight sends man to hospital, suspect located in Monroe County

A fight in the early hours of Sunday sent one man to Cartersville Medical Center with lacerations to the head.

According to the BCSO incident report, the victim said he asked Leonard Range to move his vehicle from the entrance of the Firetower Road address. Range allegedly said, “I ain’t moving a [expletive] thing.”

The victim said he once again asked Range to move his vehicle before he turned and walked away. He said Range then approached him in an aggressive manner and reached for his face, which is when he believed he was cut.

According to the victim, he pushed Range away but Range came toward him again. He grabbed Range by the neck and slammed him to the ground, he told police.

Witnesses told police Range started the fight.

The victim suffered four lacerations to his head and was treated at CMC.

Two hours later, the deputy was informed that Range was stopped in Monroe County and police there had located an open knife and the shirt he was wearing had blood on it.