Suspect in I-75 wreck identified
by Staff Report
Jan 29, 2013 | 5687 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The driver who fled police during a Saturday night license check, and later wrecked his vehicle on Interstate 75, has been identified as Winston Keith Wiggins, 45, of Woodstock.

During a license check at Old Alabama Road and Bates Road operated by the Bartow-Cartersville Drug Task Force, the Georgia State Patrol and Bartow County Sheriff’s Office, Wiggins stopped and told officers he did not have his license on him, DTF Commander Capt. Mark Mayton said.

Wiggins was instructed to pull into a holding area, at which point he sped up and fled the scene, Mayton said. In his attempt to flee, Wiggins almost struck two police officers.

The pursuit led southbound on I-75, with the chase ending at Canton Road where Wiggins crashed, according to a GSP press release. Mayton said GSP, BCSO and the DTF K-9 unit were involved in the pursuit.

Mayton said he believes Wiggins was injured but could not confirm the extent of those injuries.

Wiggins was arrested and charged with felony fleeing and attempting to elude, driving under the influence, obstruction of an officer and numerous traffic charges.

Kennesaw professor arrested for soliciting sex

A Kennesaw State University professor was arrested Monday after allegedly soliciting oral sex in Adairsville.

According to an Adairsville Police Department press release, James Russell Young of Marietta allegedly solicited oral sex to other travelers along Interstate 75 in Adairsville.

Young was reportedly spotted and stopped by Adairsville police after callers reported his actions to 911 and were able to give proper vehicle and physical descriptions. Officers then gathered statements and were able to arrest Young.

Young was charged with solicitation of sodomy and stalking.

Fire destroys residence

Bartow County Fire Department units on Sunday were called to a Taylorsville address after a vacant residence caught fire.

According to BCFD Sgt. Andy Moore, stations 3, 9, 11 and 12 responded just before 10 p.m. to 37 Hawkins Road to find the empty doublewide mobile home 75 percent involved. The residence, which had the roof burned off, was deemed a total loss.

The structure was being renovated at the time, and Moore said the cause and origin remain under investigation.

No one was injured and all units were back in service at 2:42 a.m. Monday.

BCFD Sgt. Mike Brown said stations 2, 10 and battalion 1 responded to 10 Cedar Ridge at 5:54 a.m. Monday to find an outbuilding on fire.

The 625-square-foot workshop and outbuilding received about 25 percent significant damage, but crews were able to cut off the blaze before it reached the workshop area.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation, Brown said.

No one was injured and all units were back in service at 7:24 a.m.