SWAT members end standoff with barricaded suspect
by Staff Report
Mar 21, 2013 | 2052 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A two-hour standoff in a basement bathroom ended Wednesday morning when Cartersville officers kicked in the door.

In statements made to police, a resident said James Daniel Wallace, 51, of Nicholas Lane entered her bedroom some time before 3 a.m., straddling her hips from behind and holding what she thought was a taser against her neck.

The woman said Wallace told her not to move and not to scream as he held his hand over her mouth. “I’m messed up if you know what I mean, and I don’t want to hurt you,” he told her, according to the report.

Fearing for her life, the woman complied with Wallace’s demand to place duct tape over her mouth and move to his bedroom. Once there, Wallace told the woman he was going to kill himself by taking 12 Xanax and he wanted her to lie next to him and hold him as he drifted off.

According to the report, Wallace “spooned” the woman, caressing and kissing her but holding the taser to her neck. The pair talked a while before the woman was able to convince Wallace to allow her to use the restroom. Once free, the woman was able to escape and call for help, she said.

When the first officer arrived just after 3 a.m., a witness said Wallace was barricaded in a basement bathroom threatening to hurt himself with a knife and was possibly armed with a taser.

The officer and a secondary unit cleared two rooms of the basement before finding the bathroom where Wallace was located. According to the officer, Wallace threatened to stab himself in the throat with a serrated hunting knife if officers made entry.

Wallace told the officer over the course of an hour and a half that his life was unhappy because “those two girls” had “raped” him. Wallace refused repeated requests for him to slide the knife and taser out, at one point begging the officer to shoot him.

The Cartersville Special Weapons and Tactics Team was called at 4 a.m., with three members arriving at 4:45. Upon their arrival, Wallace became uncommunicative.

A SWAT member deployed OC spray under the door before he kicked the door open. Wallace fought back against the two officers who entered the bathroom, according to the report, raising the knife toward an officer at one point. The same SWAT officer tased Wallace and removed the knife.

Wallace suffered self-inflicted wounds to the neck, according to multiple reports, and was transported to Cartersville Medical Center for treatment and mental evaluation.

A search of the house did not locate the taser but the duct tape and a letter Wallace had written to his sister were located.

Warrants for three counts of obstructing or hindering law enforcement officer, kidnapping, sexual battery, false imprisonment and aggravated assault were taken against Wallace.