Investigation continues at Plant Bowen
by Matt Shinall
Apr 19, 2013 | 3283 views | 0 0 comments | 9 9 recommendations | email to a friend | print
An investigation to determine the cause of an explosion at Georgia Power’s Plant Bowen earlier this month is still ongoing.

The April 4 incident caused only minor injuries at the coal-fired power plant, one of the largest of its kind in the world, capable of generating more than 3,000 megawatts.

“The investigation and the work there at Plant Bowen is continuing, but we don’t have any results to report at this time,” said Georgia Power Spokesman John Kraft.

The explosion, felt and heard for miles, occurred during the scheduled maintenance of Unit 2 as it was being brought offline. Metal panels were ripped from the building, but resulted in only four minor injuries, including three treated and released onsite and one transported to a medical facility out of precaution before being released the same day.

As for employees, the cleanup, repair and investigation has kept crews busy and while the plant is offline, Georgia Power has not had to layoff or reduce their workforce as a result of the incident as has been seen with area employers in the wake of natural disasters, including the Jan. 30 tornado.

“They’ve all been back at work,” Kraft said of Plant Bowen employees. “I think that Friday after the explosion, some may have worked from other locations, but many were on the job even that day and then since the very next Monday everyone has been showing up, pretty much, as usual. So, even though the plant is offline, the employees have still been able to report to duty with plenty of work to do.”

The incident occurred in a shoulder season for energy production, outside the high-demand periods of extreme weather. Generation, therefore, has been covered by other facilities within the Georgia Power system or parent company Southern Company.