Nurse accidentally shoots self in hand
by Staff Report
Apr 23, 2013 | 3363 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
On Sunday at 9 p.m., a Bartow County Sheriff’s Office deputy was dispatched to Cartersville Medical Center to investigate an accidental discharge of a firearm.

On arrival, the officer learned that the victim was a nurse at the medical center. The victim said he was cleaning his .38 caliber Derringer before going outside to shoot the gun. The victim said he failed to secure the bottom of the pistol causing the barrel to flip up when the pistol was fired. The bullet struck the victim in the middle finger of his left hand and exited through the palm. No charges were filed.

Fire damages house

A mobile home was left with significant damage after a blaze broke out Sunday morning.

According to Bartow County Fire Department Sgt. Jason Cline, the home at 933 Euharlee Road, Lot 26, was listed as a 50 percent loss after a fire began in the kitchen about 10 a.m. The flames were contained mostly to the kitchen and bathroom, he said.

Stations 3, 11 and 12 responded with officials determining the source was in the stove area, although an official cause is unknown, Cline said. Residents were not home at the time and no injuries were reported.

Trespasser tries to fight his way out of trouble

On Sunday at 3:30 a.m., a deputy was dispatched to Jennifer Lane to investigate a white male wearing a camouflage jacket and blue jeans standing in front of the residence.

After the deputy ordered the man to get on the ground numerous times, he finally got on his stomach but would not allow the deputy to handcuff him. The deputy struck the man on the arm and, after a short struggle, was able to handcuff him. The man continued to disobey the deputy’s commands and attempted to spin around but the deputy shoved him back onto the car in order to regain control of him.

The man was arrested for criminal trespass and obstruction.

Prisoner found with funny money

While processing a prisoner on Friday evening, a Cartersville police discovered four suspicious money orders for very large sums, all made out to the prisoner.

The documents lacked a watermark and had no distinguishable microprint. When the officer told the prisoner that he thought the checks were fraudulent, the prisoner agreed the checks were indeed fake. Furthermore, he said one of the checks was deposited into a local bank account, but the check showed no markings indicating it had been received by a bank and processed.

The prisoner said he could provide the envelope the checks arrived in with supporting documents. He was permitted to make phone calls to arrange for these documents to be brought to the station, but no documentation arrived.

The checks were placed into evidence in anticipation of future charges.