One airlifted after motorcycle crash closes part of I-75
by Staff Report
May 24, 2013 | 2949 views | 0 0 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print
One person was transported to an Atlanta hospital following a Thursday afternoon crash.

According to the Georgia State Patrol, a motorcycle towing a trailer was traveling northbound on Interstate 75 at the Etowah River just after 12:30 p.m. No information on the cause of the one-vehicle crash was available. Portions of the interstate was closed for about 1 1/2 hours.

The operator of the motorcycle was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital in serious condition.

Emerson Police Department worked the crash with GSP assisting in the reconstruction.

According to Emerson Police Chief Stan Bradley, the accident was caused by wind sheer. When a tractor-trailer passed the motorcycle, Bradley said, the turbulence created by the tractor-trailer caused the motorcyle’s trailer to shift and the rider lost control of the motorcycle.

Car break-ins reported blocks apart

Just weeks after Cartersville police warned residents of car break-ins, two more vehicles have been hit within blocks of each other.

According to the reports, a 2006 Chevy Tahoe at a Luckie Street address was targeted between 10 p.m. Tuesday and 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. The owner said the window was down and the doors locked when a thief took a $350 leaf blower from the vehicle. Nothing else was reported missing.

In a second incident, a 2013 Kia Sorento had cash missing after the vehicle was left unlocked at the South Bartow Street address overnight Tuesday. The owner said the only other thing of note was that chain saws had been moved behind bushes at the street end of the driveway.

Taylorsville residence burns

A vacant mobile home was lost in an early morning blaze Thursday.

Stations 3, 9 and 11 responded about 5:35 a.m. to 75 Popham Road to find the residence fully involved, according to Bartow County Battalion Chief Sandy Turner. The home was unoccupied and no injuries were reported.

Turner said the investigation has been turned over to the fire marshal.