City Manager Trish Sullivan said seven candidates were interviewed for the position. Mathison will be responsible for developing short- and long-range plans for departmental programs, operations and facilities, including administration of the city’s Joe Cowan Park, scheduled for completion in fall 2013.
Other responsibilities include:
• Developing departmental policies and procedures;
• Preparing an annual budget;
• Implementing marketing efforts to attract sports tournaments;
• Overseeing and performing field maintenance;
• Hiring, training, evaluating and counseling department staff; and
• Maintaining media communications.
The council then moved into a work session where they considered;
• a proposal by City Manager Trish Sullivan to renew a contract with Waste Industries for garbage pick-up. The company was the only one to submit a bid.
• approval of a three-year lease with Ron and Nan Thomas to operate the Covered Bridge Country Store.
• a request by Planning and Zoning Director Ron Goss to consider names submitted for appointments to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
• a request from Joey Pierce to hold the Euharlee Veterans Pow-Wow on Oct. 5-6 at Frankie Harris Park.
The Euharlee City Council will meet next on Tuesday, July 2, at 7 p.m at city hall.