Woman leaves children in car, lies about missing child
by Staff Report
Aug 09, 2013 | 3928 views | 0 0 comments | 51 51 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A woman arrested after leaving her two children in the car admitted she lied to police about a missing child “so she would not get in trouble.”

Deputies were called to Wal-Mart on Wednesday about 6:30 p.m. after emergency personnel responded to two juveniles left inside a 2002 Oldsmobile in the parking lot, according to the report.

Tabitha Ray said she left three children inside the car while she went inside to cash a check. According to the report, she was paged over the intercom to return to her car, where she found emergency personnel and two children inside the car. Ray told the deputy a third juvenile was missing, but she was not sure if a third party had picked up the child or not. According to the report, she made several unsuccessful attempts to reach the third party.

The deputy then spoke with the complainant who advised she saw the two juveniles inside the car, unattended, for about 30 minutes. She said one child was sleeping but the other was crying. According to the report, the witness never observed a third child.

Another witness also stated they observed the two juveniles unattended inside the vehicle but never saw a third child.

Video surveillance showed Ray pull into the parking lot about 5:15 p.m., sit inside the car for roughly 30 minutes and then go inside Wal-Mart. No one approached the vehicle until emergency personnel arrived.

Ray then confessed to the deputy the third child was never inside the car and had been with another party since about 3 p.m., according to the report. Ray allegedly said she made up the story about the third child being inside the car “so she would not get in trouble for leaving [the juveniles] in the car alone,” the report stated.

The Department of Family and Children Services was contacted and the children were released to a family member.

Ray was arrested and charged with two counts of second-degree cruelty to children under the Family Violence Act, false statements and obstruction of an officer.

Shoplifter flees from authorities

About 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, a deputy responding to transport two people for shoplifting at Wal-Mart found himself in a foot chase instead.

According to the report, the deputy was called to assist loss prevention personnel after Courtney Honeycutt and Damian Calderon allegedly shoplifted from the retailer. When the deputy exited to help store employees, Calderon fled on foot toward Lowes with the deputy in pursuit.

Calderon was apprehended by another deputy in the woods behind Lowes, arrested and charged with theft by shoplifting.

Honeycutt also was arrested and charged with theft by shoplifting.

Driver arrested after allegedly striking woman

A man who allegedly backed over a woman Tuesday night was arrested at the Bartow County Sheriff’s Office Wednesday morning

Cody Woodall was wanted for striking a female with his Scion TC on Smiley Ingram Road about 7 p.m. Tuesday after he allegedly yelled, cussed and threatened the victim, the report stated. Woodall fled the area after backing over and injuring the woman.

Woodall was apprehended when he was located in the passenger’s seat of a Dodge Ram while the driver filed a report with a deputy. He was arrested and charged with two counts of aggravated assault, criminal trespass and battery.

The woman was transported for non-life threatening injuries.

Man allegedly DUI after almost striking agents

A man was arrested for driving under the influence after he allegedly almost struck Bartow-Cartersville Drug Task Force agents.

According to a Cartersville police report, two DTF agents were stopped at Cassville Road and Cherokee Avenue when Damon Thompson failed to stop at a stop sign.

The agents told the officer Thompson was traveling east on Cherokee Avenue in a 2004 Ford F150 when he suddenly and without stopping turned north onto Cassville Road, almost striking their vehicle. Thompson allegedly yelled at the agents as he passed before stopping and exiting the vehicle in a threatening manner, throwing his hands in the air, the report stated.

Thompson told the officer he had drank “a couple of beers,” the report stated. The officer performed field sobriety tests on Thompson, who tested positive for alcohol after showing .130 on a breath test.

He was arrested and charged with driving under the influence.

On July 30, two Columbus drug task force agents were involved in a crash while responding to help another officer, the Associated Press reported. One agent was killed and the other seriously injured when another vehicle hit their pickup.