Man stabbed at Bartow Motel
by Staff Report
Nov 25, 2013 | 2298 views | 0 0 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Cartersville police responded to a stabbing Sunday night that also involved a separate assault.

According to the incident report, when officers arrived at the Bartow Motel, a heavy-set woman screamed, “Ray stabbed him.” Once inside the room, the officers saw the victim laying on the floor and bleeding heavily. Two children were in the room as well.

Officers began photographing the room, talking to the woman and working to keep the victim stable. Once emergency medical services arrived on scene, the victim was transported to Cartersville Medical Center and later Kennestone Hospital.

The woman said her husband, Ray Williams, came to the motel room to see the children. She said Williams was drunk and he allegedly punched her at least six times in the face and took her cellphone. The woman said she ran out into the parking lot and toward the front office. She said Williams went back inside the room and was in there for 10 to 15 minutes. When Williams left the room, he allegedly drove off in her van.

The woman said it took the victim roughly 15 minutes to open the door, and once he did he was reportedly covered in blood. The woman then found his cellphone and called 911.

Security footage at the scene showed John Moore and Utephines Williams walking into the victim’s room and later into their own room. When asked about their involvement, the woman said Moore allegedly held her down on the bed while Utephines Williams allegedly struck her. The woman later declined treatment at CMC and was taken to Cartersville Police Department for an interview.

Moore was arrested and charged with battery. Utephines Williams was arrested and also charged with battery.

Officers later found Williams walking down Joe Frank Harris Parkway, approaching Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, at approximately 5:35 a.m. According to the incident report, his clothes were torn and had blood stains on them. Williams was taken into custody and later charged with aggravated battery, battery under the Family Violence Act, two counts of cruelty to child (FVA), interference with a 911 call, theft by taking, theft by taking motor vehicle and driver must be licensed.

Williams later told officers, according to the report, he left the van on Anderson Street. An officer found the vehicle at the end of Anderson Street. Once the woman arrived to take possession of the vehicle, the officer asked to search it and the woman consented.

The officer located a box cutter in the driver’s side door and a black-handled knife on the floor near the center console. Both items were taken into evidence. A LG cellphone was found as well, but the woman said it was not hers.