Teen dies in officer-involved shooting
by By Cheree Dye, Staff Reporter
Feb 24, 2014 | 1472 views | 0 0 comments | 30 30 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A 17-year-old died Friday night at his residence at 937 Euharlee Road, Lot 5, after being shot by a Euharlee police officer. Officials have not released the name of the teen.

Euharlee Police Chief Terry Harget said, “Two officers were serving an arrest warrant for another member of the family at the address. It has been determined that the teen was holding what appeared to be a weapon. The officer who fired the shot has been with our department for more than a year but has 10 years of law enforcement training and experience. At this time that is all I can release because the incident is currently under investigation by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. As soon as the investigation is complete we will release the findings.

“Our hearts go out to the family and the officer. This has been traumatic.”

According to a source close to the investigation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, the police arrived at the residence about 7:35 p.m. in reference to a probation violation warrant for the teen’s father. However, the source said, the teen opened the door with possibly a BB gun in his hand.

The officer allegedly fired at the teen and hit his shoulder. The source said he bled to death before emergency response crews arrived.

His father and two siblings were in the home at the time of the shooting.

Another source, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity, said, “I could see where he fell after being shot. He fell against a gaming table, and there was an ungodly amount of blood on a Wii controller and the gaming system laying nearby.”

Ken Yates, manager of the Eagle View Mobile Home Park where Roupe lived, said, “He was a great kid, always polite, courteous and asked if there was anything I needed help with. I loved the kid.”

Yates believed the teen, a senior at Woodland High School, would have turned 18 today and planned to join the Marine Corps after graduation.

Caron Yates, the second manager of the Eagle View Mobile Home Park, said, “[His] father did not work so [he] supported the family with odd jobs around the neighborhood. During the snowstorm, he shoveled snow for people and cut grass in the summer. He tried to keep his younger brother and sister in order. He was the adult of the household. He was a very friendly, down-to-earth teenager.”

Caron Yates also commented on the officer involved in the shooting.

“We have dealt with the officer several times with situations in the neighborhood. She has always been personable and nice. She was the kind of officer who tried to make peace in a situation, not just take people to jail. This is such a tragic situation for everyone involved,” Yates said.

One source said the father was arrested and taken to jail on the warrants at the time of the incident and the two children were released to a neighbor. However, the children’s mother, who lives outside Bartow County, picked the children up at 2 a.m. Saturday.

The officer has been placed on administrative leave, Euharlee City Manager Trish Sullivan said.