Inmate attempts to steal deputy's taser
by Staff Report
Apr 10, 2014 | 2308 views | 0 0 comments | 34 34 recommendations | email to a friend | print
While a deputy escorted him to a medical room Tuesday afternoon, one inmate attempted to take the deputy’s taser.

According to the Bartow County Sheriff’s Office incident report, Henry Holt was being taken to medical room 11 at approximately 3:25 p.m. As the deputy was walking him there, Holt reportedly said, “I’m not going into that room.” The deputy grabbed Holt’s arm to help him into the room, and Holt allegedly grabbed the deputy’s taser and tried to remove it from his belt.

The deputy took Holt to the floor to gain control of him. Five additional deputies arrived to help gain control of Holt and place him in handcuffs.

Holt was then taken to an isolation cell.

Husband attempts to strangle wife during argument

After asking her husband and his friends to leave her house, one woman was attacked Tuesday night.

The victim said she came home to her Mac Johnson Road residence Tuesday afternoon to find her husband, Gary Moore, inside with several people she believed were drug users. According to the BCSO incident report, she said she believed Moore was using methamphetamine with those people and, “she doesn’t want that type of people where her children live.”

When the victim told Moore and the group to leave, Moore allegedly became angry and pushed her against the wall while grabbing her by the neck, strangling her.

During the incident, Moore reportedly kicked the bedroom door off its hinges, breaking it and a picture frame on the wall. The victim’s children, who witnessed the incident, confirmed the victim’s statement.

The victim did have visible red markings on her face and neck while the deputy spoke to her, according to the report.

The deputy located Moore at Ansley Park and spoke with him. Moore said he and his wife argued and she pushed him first. Moore also claimed, “she beat me up,” according to the incident report. However, Moore did not have any visible injuries. He continued, saying he had people over and his wife became mad about it when she came home. Moore said it was possible he broke the picture frame, but the door had been broken for a while.

Moore was arrested and charged with simple battery under the Family Violence Act, criminal trespass (FVA) and violation of a family violence order. He was transported to the Bartow County Jail without incident.

Drug abuser arrested at pharmacy

A Cartersville police officer responded to the West Avenue Ingles Tuesday afternoon in response to a call about fraud in progress, and later arrested an admitted drug abuser.

The officer met with the pharmacist, who said Robert Sanford was attempting to fill a prescription for hydrocodone. The pharmacist said she spoke with the doctor’s office, which stated the prescription was not theirs.

After reading him his Miranda rights, the officer spoke with Sanford, who said the prescription was his wife’s. He also said he had already filled the prescription at Publix earlier that day and he was attempting to fill it at Ingles as well. Sanford admitted to creating the prescription by photocopying an old prescription and changing the date.

Sanford then told the officer he had a substance abuse problem and he had been forging the prescriptions for some time. He was arrested and charged with possession of schedule III and prescription forgery. Sanford was transported to the Bartow County Jail without incident.

Copper thefts reported

Two copper thefts were reported Tuesday morning at both a power station and a vacant home.

A BCSO deputy was dispatched to the Cobb EMC substation on Kings Camp Road, where an employee said someone had cut the copper clamps off the fence in three different areas. The employee said it did not look like anyone went into the substation. He added the clamps appeared to have been cut from both sides of the gate and the back right corner of the fence. A small hole was reportedly cut in the fence in the corner so the clamps could be removed.

The damage was estimated at $200.

Copper pipe and electrical wire was also reported to have been stolen from a vacant Iron Hill Road residence. The complainant said contracted workers on Monday found that copper pipe and wiring had been removed from the residence. She added that on April 4 the residence was not damaged.

The deputy determined the suspects got into the residence through the garage door, which was damaged.

The damage was estimated at $7,000.