Toddler, 1, burned by gas, flown to Grady
by Staff Report
Apr 11, 2014 | 2923 views | 0 0 comments | 25 25 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A toddler was taken to an Atlanta hospital Thursday afternoon after suffering burns.

Bartow County Fire Department Capt. Adam Blair said a family member working on a vehicle about 3 p.m. was pouring gasoline from a cup into the carburator. When the vehicle cranked, the cup ignited.

The family member threw the cup away from the vehicle, splashing the gasoline on the passing 21-month-old boy.

Blair said a teenaged relative “two steps behind” the child quickly extinguished the fire.

Bartow County EMS Public Information Officer Brad Cothran said units responded to the Cassville area after the boy sustained burns to the face and arms.

A Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta air ambulance transported the child to Grady Memorial Hospital.

Blair said that, although he did not know the severity of the burns, one of the main decisions to airlift the child was out of fear he inhaled the gasoline.