According to reports, a disabled resident was cooking just before 1 p.m. when the fire broke out. Neighbors were able to get the man to safety.
Bartow County Fire Department stations 2, 10 and 7 were dispatched to the 181 Stoners Chapel Road home where they found heavy black smoke showing. The first deputy on scene said flames were coming through the roof upon his arrival.
BCFD Capt. Michael Kimbrel said additional manpower was requested from stations 1 and 15 and several off-duty firefighters were on scene to assist.
Kimbrel said the residence sustained heavy damage to the roof and interior portions.
"I think it will be [deemed a total loss]," he said. "The roof was completely gone."
Crews were able to save several firearms and family albums.
Bartow County EMS Public Information Officer Brad Cothran said the resident suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to the hospital.
"Upon arrival, EMS found an 86-year-old male that lived at the residence that family members had pulled from the home having respiratory problems," he said. "The patient had inhaled a lot of smoke, which was causing trouble breathing. EMS transported the patient to [Cartersville Medical Center] for treatment."
The Bartow County Sheriff's Office deputy on scene also issued citations to a motorist after he drove through the blocked off road. The driver was cited for failure to obey person directing traffic and running over a fire hose.