Electrical panel catches fire at hotel
by Jessica Loeding
Jun 21, 2014 | 1578 views | 0 0 comments | 23 23 recommendations | email to a friend | print
City of Cartersville firefighters respond to an electrical panel box fire Friday morning at the Cartersville Hilton Garden Inn. SKIP BUTLER/The Daily Tribune News
City of Cartersville firefighters respond to an electrical panel box fire Friday morning at the Cartersville Hilton Garden Inn. SKIP BUTLER/The Daily Tribune News
slideshow
A dripping air conditioning unit caused a minor fire Friday morning at Hilton Garden Inn in Cartersville.

The blaze began on the second floor of the 24 Liberty Drive hotel about 9 a.m. Stations 2, 4 and Tower 1 responded to the scene, where all guests and personnel had been evacuated.

“We had a call to here for an electrical panel on fire. When we got here, we were able to de-energize the panel,” said Cartersville Fire Department Battalion Chief Ray King. “The cause of the fire was water dripping down from an AC from the third floor onto the panel. We were able to de-energize and then we removed the smoke from the building.”

King said management handled the evacuation, bringing crews up to date when they arrived.

“The hotel had a very good evacuation plan and they were able to supply us with an accountability list when we got here, so we felt pretty good about everybody being removed from the building,” he said.

The building suffered “very minimal damage,” according to King, and the building was turned back over to managers before 10 a.m.

“All proper fire safety procedures were followed. We made sure that all the guests had exited the building, called all of the floors to make sure that everyone had left and made sure that everything was contained,” said Hilton Garden Inn General Manager Michelle Sims. “[Cartersville Fire Department was] fantastic, had everything safe and secure to let our guests back in.”

The 5-year-old hotel features 108 guestrooms on three floors and more than 5,000 square feet of event space.