Jones was named chief in September 2011 following the retirement of former Chief Charles Stafford.
City Manager Pam Madison said they would seek a permanent chief with help from the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police.
“The association will peruse its slate of candidates and provide a short list of finalists to the council,” Madison said. “We will be putting together a committee including me, a local police chief and a number of community advisors to announce the winning candidate.”
She said the interim chief would be identified by the end of the day Friday and a permanent chief would be hired in six to eight weeks.
In other business, the council:
• Approved the appointment of Joshua D. Earwood as an alternate Municipal Court judge.
• Approved street improvements for the residential area from Lawrence Street to McKenzie Circle.
• Approved moving the voting location for the Adairsville Depot to Manning Mill Park.
• Approved agreement with the Sans Souci Club to provide staffing for events at the Adairsville Depot.
• Approved the sale of a surplus truck bed from a 1991 GMC fire truck.
• Authorized the staff to deposit the proceeds of the above sale to fund repairs and modification of a 1991 GMC fire truck.
The Adairsville City Council will hold a work session on Tuesday, Aug. 12, at 7 p.m. at the Adairsville Depot.